Can desmoplastic melanoma be prevented?

There are some things you can do that may help reduce your risk for developing desmoplastic melanoma. It's thought that desmoplastic melanoma may be related to sun exposure, so you should limit the time you spend in the sun. If you can't avoid sun exposure, wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. It's also a good idea to protect skin by wearing a hat and clothing that covers your arms and legs. This is especially important for people who live in warm, sunny climates. Also, make sure to check your skin often-everyone should look out for changes in moles and skin growths on their own body, but people at a high risk for melanoma should see a doctor for frequent skin screenings. If you've had desmoplastic melanoma before, it's especially important for you to check your skin regularly since this type of melanoma has a high rate of recurrence. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about anything unusual, even if it seems harmless.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?