Can amelanotic melanoma be prevented?

Though it can't be completely prevented, there are some things you can do that may help reduce your risk for developing amelanotic melanoma. It's thought that amelanotic melanoma may be related to sun exposure, so you should limit the time you spend in the sun. If you can't avoid sun exposure, wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Also, make sure to check your skin often - everyone should look out for changes in skin growths on their own body, but people at a high risk for melanoma should see a doctor for frequent skin screenings. If you've had any type of melanoma before, it's especially important for you to check your skin regularly since amelanotic melanoma may return to the same spot. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about anything unusual, even if it seems harmless.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What is malignant melanoma?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Malignant melanoma arises from skin growths known as nevi, or "moles" as they are more commonly know...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?