Can amelanotic melanoma be prevented?

Though it can't be completely prevented, there are some things you can do that may help reduce your risk for developing amelanotic melanoma. It's thought that amelanotic melanoma may be related to sun exposure, so you should limit the time you spend in the sun. If you can't avoid sun exposure, wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Also, make sure to check your skin often - everyone should look out for changes in skin growths on their own body, but people at a high risk for melanoma should see a doctor for frequent skin screenings. If you've had any type of melanoma before, it's especially important for you to check your skin regularly since amelanotic melanoma may return to the same spot. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about anything unusual, even if it seems harmless.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?