Can acral lentiginous melanoma be prevented?

There's not a lot you can do to prevent the development of acral lentiginous melanoma, but you may be able to increase your chances of a full recovery. Unlike other types of melanoma, there seems to be no connection between developing acral lentiginous melanoma and sun exposure. This means that many of the recommended techniques for preventing melanoma won't help prevent acral lentiginous melanoma. The best thing you can do to increase your chances of catching acral lentiginous melanoma early is to check your skin often, making sure to include "hidden" areas like palms, soles, nail beds, and inside your mouth and nose. If you're at a high risk for melanoma due to family history, see a doctor for frequent skin screenings. Don't be afraid to see your doctor about something that seems harmless - if you notice anything unusual on your skin, it's best to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?