Can acral lentiginous melanoma affect people with dark skin?

Acral lentiginous melanoma can affect people with any skin type, including darker skin. In fact, it's the most common type of melanoma among people with darker skin. Although having light skin and light hair is usually a risk factor for most melanoma, this isn't necessarily the case for acral lentiginous melanoma. This may be related to the fact that the risk for acral lentiginous melanoma isn't related to sun exposure, so skin type may not come into play as much as it does with other types of melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
Is melanoma serious?
Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected ear...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?