When should I call my doctor if I have melanoma skin cancer?

If you have melanoma skin cancer, or if you think you might, you should call your doctor if you notice any of the following symptoms -- known as the ABCDEs of melanoma -- in a mole, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
  • Assymetry - one half of the mole is unlike the other.
  • Border - the mole has an irregular, scalloped or poorly defined border. (Healthy moles tend to be round.)
  • Color - the mole has various shades of tan, brown, black and even red, white or blue.
  • Diameter - the mole has a diameter bigger than a quarter-inch (6mm) wide, or bigger than the average pencil eraser.
  • Evolving - the mole has changed size or shape or color, or looks different from any other moles.
You should also call your doctor if you notice new moles that you haven't seen before, or if any mole feels itchy or painful, looks swollen or inflamed, or bleeds. When caught early (before it has spread beyond the skin) melanoma is nearly 100 percent curable. In later stages, it can be deadly.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Treatment

Should I get a laser procedure if I had in situ melanoma?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
There is currently no evidence that lasers or intense pulsed light devices cause DNA changes to skin...
Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
Who is a candidate for high-dose interleukin-2 therapy for melanoma?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
High-dose interleukin-2 (IL-2) therapy is Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved and consid...
How can early detection of melanoma affect my chance of survival?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Early detection of melanoma is critical to your chances of surviving. If caught early, melanoma is a...