How do medications treat melanoma?

Medications are not generally used as a primary treatment for melanoma. Instead, surgical removal of the mole or skin growth is usually the first line of treatment. If the melanoma isn't diagnosed till later, though, medications may be used in the form of chemotherapy. This treatment involves taking medications either by mouth or intravenously for several months. The strong chemicals in those drugs work to kill cancerous cells.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Treatment

How can early detection of melanoma affect my chance of survival?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Early detection of melanoma is critical to your chances of surviving. If caught early, melanoma is a...
What are the follow up treatments for melanoma?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
After the original surgical treatment, most patients will need to see their dermatologist for a skin...
When should I call my doctor if I have melanoma skin cancer?
If you have melanoma skin cancer, or if you think you might, you should call your doctor if you noti...
How is radiation therapy used to treat melanoma?
If melanoma has reached an advanced stage and cannot be completely removed through surgery, your doc...