How do medications treat melanoma?

Medications are not generally used as a primary treatment for melanoma. Instead, surgical removal of the mole or skin growth is usually the first line of treatment. If the melanoma isn't diagnosed till later, though, medications may be used in the form of chemotherapy. This treatment involves taking medications either by mouth or intravenously for several months. The strong chemicals in those drugs work to kill cancerous cells.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Treatment

When should I call my doctor if I have melanoma skin cancer?
If you have melanoma skin cancer, or if you think you might, you should call your doctor if you noti...
Who is a candidate for high-dose interleukin-2 therapy for melanoma?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
High-dose interleukin-2 (IL-2) therapy is Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved and consid...
What is the first-line treatment for melanoma?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The first-line treatment (the best plan of attack) for most skin cancers, especially melanoma, is su...
Should I get a laser procedure if I had in situ melanoma?
There is currently no evidence that lasers or intense pulsed light devices cause DNA changes to skin...