How is chemotherapy used to treat melanoma?

If melanoma has reached an advanced stage and cannot be completely removed through surgery, targeted therapy, or immunotherapy, your doctor may suggest chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is a treatment that uses drugs to destroy cancer cells. These drugs may be taken orally or intravenously. If melanoma is present only in an arm or leg, the drugs may be injected directly into that limb.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Treatment

When should I call my doctor if I have melanoma skin cancer?
If you have melanoma skin cancer, or if you think you might, you should call your doctor if you noti...
What is the first-line treatment for melanoma?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The first-line treatment (the best plan of attack) for most skin cancers, especially melanoma, is su...
How do different treatments for melanoma work?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Traditional chemotherapy attacks melanoma tumor cells in a non-specific way. In this video, Philip F...
How is a melanoma removed?
Omar A. Ibrahimi, MDOmar A. Ibrahimi, MD
The gold standard treatment for melanoma remains surgical removal. Depending on how deep the melanom...