Should I get a laser procedure if I had in situ melanoma?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

There is currently no evidence that lasers or intense pulsed light devices cause DNA changes to skin cells, and there have been no reports of this happening in the decade that they have been in use. Adequate safety studies have been done on these devices, and they've been proven safe. At Mount Sinai an in vivo study was done to see if pigment lasers (Q-switched Nd:YAG) could change the DNA or cause mutations in skin cells. Preexisting brown spots (benign nevi and lentigines, or freckles) were lasered and later tested to see if they were converted into cancerous lesions. No signs of mutation were found after biopsying the areas. (In fact, the ruby laser is a proven treatment for in situ melanoma, as augmentation to excision).

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Melanoma Treatment

What are adjuvant therapies for melanoma?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The following are the standard (and one experimental) adjuvant therapies associated with melanoma. A...
How can early detection of melanoma affect my chance of survival?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Early detection of melanoma is critical to your chances of surviving. If caught early, melanoma is a...
What is the first-line treatment for melanoma?
The first-line treatment (the best plan of attack) for most skin cancers, especially melanoma, is su...
How is radiation therapy used to treat melanoma?
If melanoma has reached an advanced stage and cannot be completely removed through surgery, your doc...