What are the follow up treatments for melanoma?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

After the original surgical treatment, most patients will need to see their dermatologist for a skin check every three months for one year. If they graduate to a low-risk level, they can come in every six months after that. Adjuvant therapies are continued until the patient is cured.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Melanoma Treatment

What is the first-line treatment for melanoma?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The first-line treatment (the best plan of attack) for most skin cancers, especially melanoma, is su...
How is a melanoma removed?
Omar A. Ibrahimi, MDOmar A. Ibrahimi, MD
The gold standard treatment for melanoma remains surgical removal. Depending on how deep the melanom...
Should I get a laser procedure if I had in situ melanoma?
There is currently no evidence that lasers or intense pulsed light devices cause DNA changes to skin...
Who is a candidate for high-dose interleukin-2 therapy for melanoma?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
High-dose interleukin-2 (IL-2) therapy is Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved and consid...