What are my odds of getting a melanoma if I've had one removed?

There have been various studies looking at the incidence of second melanomas, and there is no clear answer to your question. We do know that you are at a higher risk for getting another melanoma compared with people who have never had melanoma, but we just don't know exactly what that number is. The best thing you can do is perform regular monthly skin exams and see your dermatologist as often as she or he recommends.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

How does melanoma affect Hispanic people?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Whites are at the highest risk of getting melanoma. The risk for Hispanics is only four per 100,000,...
Is melanoma more common in those with white or black skin?
Melanoma is less prevalent in black skin. However, melanoma in black skin has been more likely to oc...
Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...