What are my odds of getting a melanoma if I've had one removed?

There have been various studies looking at the incidence of second melanomas, and there is no clear answer to your question. We do know that you are at a higher risk for getting another melanoma compared with people who have never had melanoma, but we just don't know exactly what that number is. The best thing you can do is perform regular monthly skin exams and see your dermatologist as often as she or he recommends.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

Does melanoma run in families?
The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you hav...
What causes melanoma?
Though the specific cause of melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are p...
What is dysplastic nevus syndrome?
A condition called dysplastic nevus syndrome, also known as familial melanoma syndrome or famili...
What are the risk factors for developing melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
The risk factors for melanoma include intermittent high-intensity ultraviolet (UV) exposure (intermi...