How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?

Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I can't encourage you enough to stop this practice. Not only does it significantly increase the risk of skin cancer, but it will also contribute to the development of wrinkles and aging. No amount of tanning, especially at a tanning salon, is healthy.
Right at the top of the list of risk factors for melanoma is to avoid is tanning beds.

Tanning beds are a source of ultraviolet A (UVA) rays, and there is a direct correlation between UVA exposure and an increased risk for developing melanoma.

According to the National Cancer Institute, part of the United States National Institutes of Health, women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55% more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer. Frequent tanning bed use increases both men and women’s risk of developing skin cancer.

Additionally, the National Cancer Institute reports that exposure to tanning salon rays increases damage caused by sunlight because ultraviolet light actually thins the skin, making it less able to heal.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

What are my odds of getting a melanoma if I've had one removed?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
There have been various studies looking at the incidence of second melanomas, and there is no cl...
Does melanoma run in families?
The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you hav...
Can people with dark skin get melanoma?
Sharecare Ad Target UserSharecare Ad Target User
Even though fair-skinned and light-haired people are most at risk for developing melanoma, it's poss...
Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...