How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?

Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I can't encourage you enough to stop this practice. Not only does it significantly increase the risk of skin cancer, but it will also contribute to the development of wrinkles and aging. No amount of tanning, especially at a tanning salon, is healthy.
Right at the top of the list of risk factors for melanoma is to avoid is tanning beds.

Tanning beds are a source of ultraviolet A (UVA) rays, and there is a direct correlation between UVA exposure and an increased risk for developing melanoma.

According to the National Cancer Institute, part of the United States National Institutes of Health, women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55% more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer. Frequent tanning bed use increases both men and women’s risk of developing skin cancer.

Additionally, the National Cancer Institute reports that exposure to tanning salon rays increases damage caused by sunlight because ultraviolet light actually thins the skin, making it less able to heal.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Once you've got your daily sun, here's what you can do to make sure you protect yourself from ha...
Does melanoma run in families?
The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you hav...
What causes melanoma?
Though the specific cause of melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are p...
Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most...