Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?

Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a person’s risk for melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer.

As many as 90 percent of melanomas are estimated to be caused by ultraviolet (UV) exposure, which is the most preventable cause of skin cancer, according to the 2014 U.S. Surgeon General’s Call to Action for prevention.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

What are my odds of getting a melanoma if I've had one removed?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
There have been various studies looking at the incidence of second melanomas, and there is no cl...
What is dysplastic nevus syndrome?
A condition called dysplastic nevus syndrome, also known as familial melanoma syndrome or famili...
Who is at risk for melanoma?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
Melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, can affect people regardless of age or race, but i...
Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most...