Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?

Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a person’s risk for melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer.

As many as 90 percent of melanomas are estimated to be caused by ultraviolet (UV) exposure, which is the most preventable cause of skin cancer, according to the 2014 U.S. Surgeon General’s Call to Action for prevention.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most...
How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I ca...
Is melanoma more common in those with white or black skin?
Melanoma is less prevalent in black skin. However, melanoma in black skin has been more likely to oc...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Once you've got your daily sun, here's what you can do to make sure you protect yourself from ha...