Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?

Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most fatal, since many assume natural protection, and aren’t diagnosed with melanoma until it’s too late. Today, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, the melanoma survival rate for African Americans is 77 percent, as compared to 91 percent for Caucasians.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

What causes melanoma?
Though the specific cause of melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are p...
What are the risk factors for developing melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
The risk factors for melanoma include intermittent high-intensity ultraviolet (UV) exposure (intermi...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Bruce E. Brockstein, MDBruce E. Brockstein, MD
To reduce the risk of melanoma, try not to burn, and avoid tanning salons and intentional sun tann...
How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I ca...