Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?

Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most fatal, since many assume natural protection, and aren’t diagnosed with melanoma until it’s too late. Today, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, the melanoma survival rate for African Americans is 77 percent, as compared to 91 percent for Caucasians.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

What causes melanoma?
Though the specific cause of melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are p...
What are my odds of getting a melanoma if I've had one removed?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
There have been various studies looking at the incidence of second melanomas, and there is no cl...
Who is at risk for melanoma?
Dr. Jill Onesti, MDDr. Jill Onesti, MD
Melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, can affect people regardless of age or race, but i...
Does melanoma run in families?
The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you hav...