Who is most at risk for medullary thyroid cancer?

About 20 percent of medullary thyroid cancer cases come from inheritance, as an abnormal gene (usually the RET proto-oncogene) is passed down in the family. The other type of this cancer, called sporadic medullary thyroid cancer, can affect anyone. However, sporadic medullary thyroid cancer has been found to affect more elderly adults than any other population. Other risk factors include a history of hyperparathyroidism, mucosal neuromas or pheochromocytomas (a tumor of the adrenal gland).

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?
The symptoms of medullary thyroid include pain in the neck when swallowing and a visible or easily d...
What is medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer is one form of cancer of the thyroid gland. The disease begins in the paraf...
What are the treatment options for medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer is primarily treated with surgery. A thyroidectomy, or removal of most or a...
How do I manage my medullary thyroid cancer on a daily basis?
Living with medullary thyroid cancer can be stressful. Ask your doctor to help you get as much infor...