What if medullary thyroid cancer runs in my family?

One of the risk factors for medullary thyroid cancer is if the disease runs in your family. If that is the case, it is important to speak with your doctor, who may recommend a specialist. For people who are genetically prone to medullary thyroid cancer, prevention may include surgery to remove the thyroid gland. It is also important for family members to be genetically tested.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

How does medullary thyroid cancer affect the body?
Medullary thyroid cancer begins affecting the body in the neck. That's where the tumor originates, g...
Can medullary thyroid cancer be prevented?
There may not be any way to prevent medullary thyroid cancer; however, if you have a family genetic ...
What increases my risk for medullary thyroid cancer?
The risk factors for developing medullary thyroid cancer are few and specific. People who have a gen...
What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?
The symptoms of medullary thyroid include pain in the neck when swallowing and a visible or easily d...