What if medullary thyroid cancer runs in my family?

One of the risk factors for medullary thyroid cancer is if the disease runs in your family. If that is the case, it is important to speak with your doctor, who may recommend a specialist. For people who are genetically prone to medullary thyroid cancer, prevention may include surgery to remove the thyroid gland. It is also important for family members to be genetically tested.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

How do I care for someone with medullary thyroid cancer?
Caring for someone with medullary thyroid cancer depends on what stage they are in the illness. Peop...
How do I manage my medullary thyroid cancer on a daily basis?
Living with medullary thyroid cancer can be stressful. Ask your doctor to help you get as much infor...
How does medullary thyroid cancer affect the body?
Medullary thyroid cancer begins affecting the body in the neck. That's where the tumor originates, g...
Should I talk to my doctor about my medullary thyroid cancer symptoms?
Symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer can be uncomfortable and include trouble breathing and swallowi...