How is medullary thyroid cancer diagnosed?

Physicians typically diagnose medullary thyroid cancer with a test to measure the level of serum calcitonin in the body. Calcitonin is produced by C-cells in the thyroid gland. If the level is high, your doctor may suspect medullary thyroid cancer. Other tests include a biopsy of the thyroid gland, which is when cells are removed through a needle and tested for cancer; a scan of the thyroid gland; and genetic testing. Your doctor will also perform a physical examination to check for swelling or lumps in the neck.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

What should I ask my doctor after a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer?
After a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer, there are many questions you can ask your doctor. It ...
What is medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer is one form of cancer of the thyroid gland. The disease begins in the paraf...
How do I care for someone with medullary thyroid cancer?
Caring for someone with medullary thyroid cancer depends on what stage they are in the illness. Peop...
What causes medullary thyroid cancer?
The cause of medullary thyroid cancer is currently not known. Most cases are called sporadic, which ...