Can medullary thyroid cancer be prevented?

There may not be any way to prevent medullary thyroid cancer; however, if you have a family genetic history of thyroid cancer or tumors, you may want to be aware that you are at risk. Genetic testing may be recommended for family members. People who are older and have a strong genetic history may want to have their thyroid gland removed to prevent cancer from developing. Your decision can be based on advice and direction from a genetic counselor.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

What if medullary thyroid cancer runs in my family?
One of the risk factors for medullary thyroid cancer is if the disease runs in your family. If that ...
How do I care for someone with medullary thyroid cancer?
Caring for someone with medullary thyroid cancer depends on what stage they are in the illness. Peop...
Should I talk to my doctor about my medullary thyroid cancer symptoms?
Symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer can be uncomfortable and include trouble breathing and swallowi...
What should I ask my doctor after a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer?
After a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer, there are many questions you can ask your doctor. It ...