Can medullary thyroid cancer be prevented?

There may not be any way to prevent medullary thyroid cancer; however, if you have a family genetic history of thyroid cancer or tumors, you may want to be aware that you are at risk. Genetic testing may be recommended for family members. People who are older and have a strong genetic history may want to have their thyroid gland removed to prevent cancer from developing. Your decision can be based on advice and direction from a genetic counselor.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

How is medullary thyroid cancer diagnosed?
Physicians typically diagnose medullary thyroid cancer with a test to measure the level of serum cal...
What are the treatment options for medullary thyroid cancer?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The best treatment for medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) is surgery to completely remove all disease in...
What causes medullary thyroid cancer?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
The biggest risk factor for medullary thyroid cancer is a family history of medullary thyroid cancer...
Should I talk to my doctor about my medullary thyroid cancer symptoms?
Symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer can be uncomfortable and include trouble breathing and swallowi...