How does medullary thyroid cancer affect the body?

Medullary thyroid cancer begins affecting the body in the neck. That's where the tumor originates, grows, and causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged and painful. Aside from unpleasant symptoms, which may include coughing up blood, pain, hoarseness, diarrhea, and trouble breathing and swallowing, medullary thyroid cancer can spread quickly to other tissues such as the liver, lungs and bone. This disease is almost always fatal.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

How common is medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer accounts for about three percent of all the people diagnosed with thyroid c...
How do I manage my medullary thyroid cancer on a daily basis?
Living with medullary thyroid cancer can be stressful. Ask your doctor to help you get as much infor...
Is medullary thyroid cancer serious?
Medullary thyroid cancer is a serious disease that is difficult to treat. One of the most uncommon f...
How do medications treat medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer is typically not treated with medications. This form of cancer is treated w...