How does medullary thyroid cancer affect the body?

Medullary thyroid cancer begins affecting the body in the neck. That's where the tumor originates, grows, and causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged and painful. Aside from unpleasant symptoms, which may include coughing up blood, pain, hoarseness, diarrhea, and trouble breathing and swallowing, medullary thyroid cancer can spread quickly to other tissues such as the liver, lungs and bone. This disease is almost always fatal.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

What should I ask my doctor after a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer?
After a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer, there are many questions you can ask your doctor. It ...
Who is most at risk for medullary thyroid cancer?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
About 20 percent of medullary thyroid cancer cases come from inheritance, as an abnormal gene (usual...
What if medullary thyroid cancer runs in my family?
One of the risk factors for medullary thyroid cancer is if the disease runs in your family. If that ...
What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?
The symptoms of medullary thyroid include pain in the neck when swallowing and a visible or easily d...