Is medullary thyroid cancer serious?

Medullary thyroid cancer is a serious disease that is difficult to treat. One of the most uncommon forms of thyroid cancer, it can invade other parts of the body, including the liver, lungs, and bone tissue. Surgery is the only effective way of treating the disease. Despite the aggressive surgery, most people diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer will only live five years, with about two-thirds living for 10 years.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

Should I talk to my doctor about my medullary thyroid cancer symptoms?
Symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer can be uncomfortable and include trouble breathing and swallowi...
How does medullary thyroid cancer affect the body?
Medullary thyroid cancer begins affecting the body in the neck. That's where the tumor originates, g...
Can medullary thyroid cancer be prevented?
There may not be any way to prevent medullary thyroid cancer; however, if you have a family genetic ...
What causes medullary thyroid cancer?
The cause of medullary thyroid cancer is currently not known. Most cases are called sporadic, which ...