Is medullary thyroid cancer serious?

Medullary thyroid cancer is a serious disease that is difficult to treat. One of the most uncommon forms of thyroid cancer, it can invade other parts of the body, including the liver, lungs, and bone tissue. Surgery is the only effective way of treating the disease. Despite the aggressive surgery, most people diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer will only live five years, with about two-thirds living for 10 years.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

Should I talk to my doctor about my medullary thyroid cancer symptoms?
Symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer can be uncomfortable and include trouble breathing and swallowi...
What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
Most medullary thyroid cancers do not cause symptoms (i.e. they are asymptomatic). In fact, many pat...
What if medullary thyroid cancer runs in my family?
One of the risk factors for medullary thyroid cancer is if the disease runs in your family. If that ...
What increases my risk for medullary thyroid cancer?
The risk factors for developing medullary thyroid cancer are few and specific. People who have a gen...