What increases my risk for medullary thyroid cancer?

The risk factors for developing medullary thyroid cancer are few and specific. People who have a genetic disposition to tumors in other glands in the body are more at risk for developing inherited medullary thyroid cancer. That means the cancer is related to genetics. The other form of this cancer is called sporadic and means that the disease cannot be blamed on genetics. Most cases of medullary thyroid cancer are sporadic and affect older people.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

How do I care for someone with medullary thyroid cancer?
Caring for someone with medullary thyroid cancer depends on what stage they are in the illness. Peop...
What are the treatment options for medullary thyroid cancer?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The best treatment for medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) is surgery to completely remove all disease in...
What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
Most medullary thyroid cancers do not cause symptoms (i.e. they are asymptomatic). In fact, many pat...
How do I manage my medullary thyroid cancer on a daily basis?
Living with medullary thyroid cancer can be stressful. Ask your doctor to help you get as much infor...