What increases my risk for medullary thyroid cancer?

The risk factors for developing medullary thyroid cancer are few and specific. People who have a genetic disposition to tumors in other glands in the body are more at risk for developing inherited medullary thyroid cancer. That means the cancer is related to genetics. The other form of this cancer is called sporadic and means that the disease cannot be blamed on genetics. Most cases of medullary thyroid cancer are sporadic and affect older people.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

How common is medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer accounts for about three percent of all the people diagnosed with thyroid c...
What is medullary thyroid cancer?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
Medullary thyroid cancer makes up about 5% of all cases of thyroid cancer and is very different from...
What should I ask my doctor after a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer?
After a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer, there are many questions you can ask your doctor. It ...
Is there a cure for medullary thyroid cancer?
There is currently no cure for medullary thyroid cancer. The disease is treated by removing the thyr...