What increases my risk for medullary thyroid cancer?

The risk factors for developing medullary thyroid cancer are few and specific. People who have a genetic disposition to tumors in other glands in the body are more at risk for developing inherited medullary thyroid cancer. That means the cancer is related to genetics. The other form of this cancer is called sporadic and means that the disease cannot be blamed on genetics. Most cases of medullary thyroid cancer are sporadic and affect older people.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

What are the treatment options for medullary thyroid cancer?
Medullary thyroid cancer is primarily treated with surgery. A thyroidectomy, or removal of most or a...
Is medullary thyroid cancer serious?
Medullary thyroid cancer is a serious disease that is difficult to treat. One of the most uncommon f...
How do I manage my medullary thyroid cancer on a daily basis?
Living with medullary thyroid cancer can be stressful. Ask your doctor to help you get as much infor...
What should I ask my doctor after a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer?
After a diagnosis of medullary thyroid cancer, there are many questions you can ask your doctor. It ...