Is there a cure for medullary thyroid cancer?

There is currently no cure for medullary thyroid cancer. The disease is treated by removing the thyroid gland and nearby lymph nodes. Or if you are genetically predisposed, the best way to treat it is to remove the gland before it becomes cancerous. Medications and drug therapies are not effective. Because this type of cancer spreads to the lungs, liver, and bone, about 85 percent of people diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer will live for about five years. Then, about 65 percent live up to 10 years.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?
The symptoms of medullary thyroid include pain in the neck when swallowing and a visible or easily d...
What increases my risk for medullary thyroid cancer?
The risk factors for developing medullary thyroid cancer are few and specific. People who have a gen...
Should I talk to my doctor about my medullary thyroid cancer symptoms?
Symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer can be uncomfortable and include trouble breathing and swallowi...
How is medullary thyroid cancer diagnosed?
Physicians typically diagnose medullary thyroid cancer with a test to measure the level of serum cal...