How can meditation help me?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Spend time in meditation or contemplation. Relationship involves dialogue, not monologue, so you need to quiet your own voice if you want to sense God with you. There are many different methods of stilling your mind. I've used centering prayer, yogic breathing techniques, walking meditations, guided imagery, and transcendental meditation. The aim in each one is to become fully aware of the present moment. Different methods are better suited to different personality types. You need to pick one that is both pleasant (so you do it regularly) and effective.

If you're completely new to meditation, I suggest starting with a simple breath observation. Sit comfortably and close your eyes.

Bring your attention to the act of inhaling and exhaling. To stay focused, you can actively notice any sensation the breathing generates, from your nose to your throat, and down into your chest. If thoughts come up (and they will), don't chastise yourself or try to force them out. Simply notice them and allow them to drift away by gently bringing your awareness back to your breath.

As you develop your own meditative process, you'll find yourself becoming more centered and peaceful. In this state, allow yourself to be receptive to God's influx. It may seem like nothing more than a shift in your perception, or it could be clouds of glory. However when you experience the numinous, it will probably not be what you expect.

Continue Learning about Meditation

Try This Meditation Technique to Foster Lovingkindness
The holidays this year will be unprecedented in many ways. With health authorities advising Americans to avoid traveling, celebrations will be smalle...
How does meditation help relieve stress?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The practice of meditation may be centuries old, but medical researchers keep finding ways it can he...
There are so many different types of meditation, which one should I try?
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research CenterUCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
It’s true. There are probably hundreds of types of meditation including visualization, concentration...
What Can I Do to Promote Feelings of Zen?