How can meditation help me?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Spend time in meditation or contemplation. Relationship involves dialogue, not monologue, so you need to quiet your own voice if you want to sense God with you. There are many different methods of stilling your mind. I've used centering prayer, yogic breathing techniques, walking meditations, guided imagery, and transcendental meditation. The aim in each one is to become fully aware of the present moment. Different methods are better suited to different personality types. You need to pick one that is both pleasant (so you do it regularly) and effective.

If you're completely new to meditation, I suggest starting with a simple breath observation. Sit comfortably and close your eyes.

Bring your attention to the act of inhaling and exhaling. To stay focused, you can actively notice any sensation the breathing generates, from your nose to your throat, and down into your chest. If thoughts come up (and they will), don't chastise yourself or try to force them out. Simply notice them and allow them to drift away by gently bringing your awareness back to your breath.

As you develop your own meditative process, you'll find yourself becoming more centered and peaceful. In this state, allow yourself to be receptive to God's influx. It may seem like nothing more than a shift in your perception, or it could be clouds of glory. However when you experience the numinous, it will probably not be what you expect.

Continue Learning about Meditation

Meditation Techniques for a Healthy Soul
Julianne Hough—actress and two-time winner of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars—practices a meditation method known as “complete body scan (CBS).” It invol...
How does meditation help relieve stress?
Did you know something as simple as sitting still can help your stress, sleep, blood pressure -- eve...
Can meditation help treat rheumatoid arthritis?
Mihaela B. Taylor, MDMihaela B. Taylor, MD
Meditation may help ease symptoms caused by rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Two trials investigated the u...
Does Meditation Improve Brain Function?
Does Meditation Improve Brain Function?