What is a mantra?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
A mantra is a simple word or phrase that is easily repeatable. A mantra can be something that defines you or words to live by, a statement that motivates you to a goal, a self-affirmation or reassurance (think Stuart Smalley), or a mix of all of the above.

Some of the mantras of my friends include "This is Great PR," business-oriented words by which to live; "Just breathe through it," a statement of self-motivation; "I have everything I need right now and am filled with peace, joy and gratitude," an affirmation; and "Whatever it takes," a statement of goal-commitment. Although they are all very different, each can powerfully shape one's life.

A mantra is intended to energize and create transformation, thus it is a perfect tool for life change. Repeating a word or phrase will keep you focused and remind you of why you are doing what you are doing. It can be the argument-ender when you are debating with yourself or can help you get through those last few repetitions. If you focus on your mantra, you cannot allow your mind to wander to stalling or negative thoughts. It has helped me stay on track any time that motivation has waned or I have been tempted to let life get in the way.

Continue Learning about Meditation

Meditate Your Way to Becoming a Better Athlete
After taking over as head coach of the Chicago Bulls in 1989, Phil Jackson introduced mindful meditation to the team. They won six NBA Championships a...
Why do some people become anxious when they first learn to meditate?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Working with people with mental health problems such as anxiety and depression, I occasionally have ...
What is active meditation?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you are chronically multi-tasking, if your mind jumps from topic to topic, or if your to-do l...
Dr. Michael Breus's Guided Imagery Meditation