What is a mantra?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
A mantra is a simple word or phrase that is easily repeatable. A mantra can be something that defines you or words to live by, a statement that motivates you to a goal, a self-affirmation or reassurance (think Stuart Smalley), or a mix of all of the above.

Some of the mantras of my friends include "This is Great PR," business-oriented words by which to live; "Just breathe through it," a statement of self-motivation; "I have everything I need right now and am filled with peace, joy and gratitude," an affirmation; and "Whatever it takes," a statement of goal-commitment. Although they are all very different, each can powerfully shape one's life.

A mantra is intended to energize and create transformation, thus it is a perfect tool for life change. Repeating a word or phrase will keep you focused and remind you of why you are doing what you are doing. It can be the argument-ender when you are debating with yourself or can help you get through those last few repetitions. If you focus on your mantra, you cannot allow your mind to wander to stalling or negative thoughts. It has helped me stay on track any time that motivation has waned or I have been tempted to let life get in the way.

Continue Learning about Meditation

How to Change Your Reactions to Find More Peace
“No one, whatever their action, can deprive us of the ability to choose our own way of being.” – The Anatomy of Being: Resolving the Heart of Conflict...
What are the benefits of meditation?
Andy PuddicombeAndy Puddicombe
Meditation is very helpful for dealing with a wide spectrum of health issues, from reducing blood pr...
How do I meditate?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The steps of meditation are as follows:Assume a comfortable position and close your eyes.Take a few ...
Dr. Michael Breus's Guided Imagery Meditation