How can practicing mindfulness improve my well-being?

John Douillard, DC
Herbal Medicine
Practicing mindfulness can improve well-being in a multitude of ways. Nobel Prize winner Elizabeth Blackburn did notable research on telomeres, which are the protective caps on chromosomes in the body which shorten and lengthen in response to one’s environment and psychology. Blackburn found that as telomeres shorten, cells start malfunctioning and losing their ability to divide. Based on this research, scientists use shortened telomere length as a way of gauging increased risk of health problems.

Interestingly, studies suggest that meditation may be associated with increased telomere length (and thus decreased risk of health issues). Research has shown that meditation increases mindfulness, which in turn increases telomere length. The many tremendous health benefits of meditation and increased mindfulness include improved cognitive ability, less negative thoughts, better sense of life purpose, improved overall health and possibly longer lifespans. 
Pallav Mehta, MD
Practicing mindfulness can improve our well-being in that an awareness of our bodies, thoughts and feelings can positively impact our overall health. In this video, I will explain the healthy benefits of being mindful.
Ronald Siegel
Increasing your capacity for mindfulness (awareness and acceptance of your present experience) supports many attitudes that contribute to a satisfied life. Being mindful makes it easier to savor the pleasures in life as they occur, helps you become fully engaged in activities, and creates a greater capacity to deal with adverse events. By focusing on the here and now, many people who practice mindfulness find that they are less likely to get caught up in worries about the future or regrets over the past, are less preoccupied with concerns about success and self-esteem, and are better able to form deep connections with others.

If greater well-being isn't enough of an incentive, scientists have discovered the benefits of mindfulness techniques to help relieve stress, prevent heart disease, and alleviate conditions such as high blood pressure, chronic pain, sleep problems, and gastrointestinal difficulties.

Continue Learning about Meditation

How Does a Busy Person Begin a Meditation Practice?
Many doctors, even those who are interested in nutrition and exercise, often view stress management techniques as being less important to good health....
What facts do I need to know about meditation?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Here are a few notes on meditation:-Your outlook during meditation should be positive and expectant ...
What is the goal of meditation?
The goal in meditation is to clear your mind of all thoughts. The first step: silence. Even if you u...
What Can I Do to Promote Feelings of Zen?