How common is meditation?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Ten million American adults now say they practice some form of meditation regularly. This is twice as many as a decade ago. Professionals, homemakers, farmers, prisoners, physicians, teachers, children, religious and nonreligious people are all flocking to learn the practice of meditation.

You no longer have to go to an ashram or monastery to study with a monk or a guru to learn meditation practices. You can learn at hospitals, libraries, prisons, wellness centers, spas, airports, and in the privacy of your home. Serenity practices, especially meditation, are being recommended by more physicians and often by other members of the medical community. Meditation had been taken from the realms of "fringe" or "new age" to mainstream as the science of serenity becomes demystified. The mind goes through ingenious changes during the practice of meditation.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Meditation

Meditate Your Way to Becoming a Better Athlete
After taking over as head coach of the Chicago Bulls in 1989, Phil Jackson introduced mindful meditation to the team. They won six NBA Championships a...
There are so many different types of meditation, which one should I try?
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research CenterUCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
It’s true. There are probably hundreds of types of meditation including visualization, concentration...
What is the purpose of meditation?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
If most people today were asked what meditation is, they would conjure up an image of a Yogi sitting...
What Can I Do to Promote Feelings of Zen?