How can I practice active meditation?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
If active meditation is new to you, I suggest choosing a specific activity, rather than something you do on a regular basis. Go for a walk, jump rope, stretch, or find some other simple movement that works for you. Yoga can be a form of active meditation, depending on your focus. While you are practicing active meditation, focus on what you are doing, how your body feels as you perform that action, and the various sensations you are experiencing. Focus only on what you are doing and do not think about the future or the past. This is not the time to balance your checkbook or day dream about your next vacation. Noticing your breath and feeling your lungs fill with air is a great start to meditation and helpful in creating a calm body.

Continue Learning about Meditation

How Does a Busy Person Begin a Meditation Practice?
Many doctors, even those who are interested in nutrition and exercise, often view stress management techniques as being less important to good health....
How do I meditate?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
In the Yogic tradition, meditation is considered a particularly high form of practice that has its p...
How do I stay in touch with my source outside of meditation?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Meditation brings your mind into closer contact with its source, but decisions and choices need to b...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?