How can I learn mindfulness?

Ronald Siegel
Mindfulness (awareness and acceptance of your present experience) can be cultivated through mindfulness meditation and a variety of related techniques, including yoga and tai chi. These are all systematic ways of training the mind to focus attention on the present moment while accepting whatever arises. Some types of meditation primarily involve concentration—repeating a phrase or focusing on the sensation of breathing, allowing the parade of thoughts that inevitably arise to come and go. Concentration meditation techniques, as well as other activities such as tai chi or yoga, can induce the well-known relaxation response, which is very valuable in reducing the body's response to stress.

You can learn to meditate on your own, following instructions in books or on tape. However, you may benefit from the support of an instructor or group to answer questions and help you stay motivated. Look for someone using meditation in a way compatible with your beliefs and goals.
If you have a medical condition, you may prefer a medically oriented program that incorporates meditation. Ask your physician or hospital about local groups, or check medical Web sites.

Continue Learning about Meditation

How Does a Busy Person Begin a Meditation Practice?
Many doctors, even those who are interested in nutrition and exercise, often view stress management techniques as being less important to good health....
How can I use meditation to relieve stress?
John Douillard, DCJohn Douillard, DC
From an Ayurvedic standpoint, meditation can be used to relieve stress through mindfulness. A One-Mi...
How can I know when there is an energetic disturbance in an aura?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
One way would be to be born with a heightened awareness of energy, which would enable you to sense o...
How Is Meditation Beneficial for Heart Health?