How can I begin my practice of meditation?

Lynne Kenney
Let’s say you are ready to feel better, to think more positively and to feel less distressed. Begin by simply adding ten minutes of mindful meditation to your day. You can do it in the morning right when you wake up, in the evening before you go to sleep or anytime you feel fidgety, anxious, overwhelmed, sad, angry or depressed. Meditation can take place anywhere, in the mall, in the swimming pool, or in your car. You need not “go somewhere” to meditate. Meditate where ever you are.

Start with your “beginner’s mind” allowing yourself to relax into the experience as though you have never been in this moment before.

1. Sit in an upright position with your ribs aligned over your hips and your shoulders aligned over your ribs.
  2. Close your eyes to reduce distraction and breath.
  3. Count breaths: 1-2-3 in, 1-2-3 out, in through your nose out through your nose or mouth.
  4. Bring your focus into your breath, feel your breath moving in and out, see your breath.
  5. When your mind wanders in a relaxed manner, bring your focus back to your breath.
  6. Feel your body relax, experience your mind's reflections.

After about ten minutes you may slowly open your eyes and note how you feel refreshed and ready for what life has in store for you. Over time you may choose to extend your mindful moments. You may choose to meditate up to 45 minutes a day.

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

How can a beginner get more accurate results of energetic baseline?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
For your baseline, divide your body into four quadrants - low, middle, high, and top –  and perform ...
How do I dispose my dirty energy properly?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The simplest and most effective way to neutralize the dirty energy that you sweep away from your aur...
How do I acquire objectivity through meditation?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Regular meditation gives you perspective on yourself, your habits, and your behaviors. You come to s...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?