How long should I meditate?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

When on a spiritual path based on the practice of Yoga, you will develop an intuitive knowledge of how long you should practice any one technique over time. Before you get to that point, though, you will need to develop the discipline to commit to a daily practice. This is why it can be very helpful to begin with a very small amount of time for sitting (meditation) and then gradually build up to a lengthier commitment.

To build a sitting practice, try sitting for one minute on the first day, a minute-and-a-half the second day, and gradually build up to fifteen minutes by the end of the month. If you can sustain this practice over time, you will begin to see a significant difference in how you respond to the world around you.

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

Do I need to focus my intent for specific self-scanning?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
As you begin more targeted or specific self-scanning, make sure you keep your intent clear and firm ...
What is mindfulness meditation?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Mindfulness meditation is a form of meditation that involves focusing your thoughts on the present. ...
How can I train my vagus nerve?
You may be used to working out your muscles with dumbbells, working out your heart with a good swim,...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?