How long should I meditate?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

When on a spiritual path based on the practice of Yoga, you will develop an intuitive knowledge of how long you should practice any one technique over time. Before you get to that point, though, you will need to develop the discipline to commit to a daily practice. This is why it can be very helpful to begin with a very small amount of time for sitting (meditation) and then gradually build up to a lengthier commitment.

To build a sitting practice, try sitting for one minute on the first day, a minute-and-a-half the second day, and gradually build up to fifteen minutes by the end of the month. If you can sustain this practice over time, you will begin to see a significant difference in how you respond to the world around you.

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

How can I practice mindfulness meditation?
Diana WinstonDiana Winston
The simplest way to practice mindfulness meditation is to find a relatively quiet place and time in ...
How does meditation on twin hearts work in physical and mental healing?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Of all the techniques developed and taught by Grandmaster Choa Kok Sui, perhaps none prompts as many...
How can I begin my practice of meditation?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Let’s say you are ready to feel better, to think more positively and to feel less distressed. Be...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?