How do I achieve stillness through meditation?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Stillness is an inner state brought about by becoming aware of the space between your thoughts and focusing on this gap between your impressions. Just as retention, the pause between inhalation and exhalation, is the secret to a powerful pranic breath, the stillness or gap between thoughts is the key to meditation’s physical, mental, and energetic health benefits.

As you progress in meditation, your goal is to stretch out that gap, that stillness, and then maintain your awareness of it. The reason is simple: When there is chaos in the mind - through constant chatter and the presence of negative emotions, fears, and anxieties - true mental and physical health is not possible. Nor are higher goals such as self-realization. But stillness makes these goals attainable.

Zen masters used to pose this query to their students: Which is more important, the vase or the space the vase surrounds into which we place the flowers? The answer is that both are equally important. You can’t pour water or place flowers into a solid object. And space needs form around it to be useful. In the same way that aspiring Zen priests were taught to appreciate the space between solid objects, meditation teaches you to be aware of the silence, the stillness, between thoughts.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

Do I need to focus my intent for specific self-scanning?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
As you begin more targeted or specific self-scanning, make sure you keep your intent clear and firm ...
How do I perform a dissociation meditation?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform dissociation medication:Sit down in a darkened room, close your eyes, and go through your...
How do I acquire objectivity through meditation?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Regular meditation gives you perspective on yourself, your habits, and your behaviors. You come to s...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?