What should young adults know when taking Chantix?

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
If you're 18 or older and planning to quit, congratulations! This may be the best thing you'll ever do for your health. If you've been prescribed Chantix (varenicline), take it exactly as your doctor tells you. Never take more than is prescribed because it could make you sick. Chantix is not approved for use in people 17 or younger. If you are a teenager who smokes and wants to quit, talk to your doctor about the best medications for you.
Before taking Chantix (varenicline) as a young adult, talk openly with your doctor about your desire to stop smoking. Make sure your doctor knows about all prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements you are taking. Tell your doctor about your history of allergies, as there is a potential risk of an allergic reaction to Chantix. If you drink alcohol, be careful until you know how Chantix affects you. In some people, Chantix increases the effects of alcohol. 

After you read the Chantix medication guide, ask your doctor any questions you may have. Chantix works best when used with a smoking cessation program or counseling. It is important to set a specific date to stop smoking. Your doctor will tell you to start taking Chantix one week before your quit date.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What drugs may interact with varenicline?
Some patients who took varenicline along with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) reported higher rat...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...