What should seniors know before taking Chantix?

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Seniors (people over age 65) usually handle Chantix (varenicline) the same way younger people do. Still, if you're a senior considering Chantix, talk to your doctor, and be sure to tell him or her if you've ever had kidney disease. Chantix can also make you feel drowsy, so be careful when driving or engaging in other potentially risky activities.

Findings on Chantix (varenicline) have not revealed problems that would keep seniors from using this smoking cessation medication. But talk with your doctor about your medical history and health issues to be sure that the drug is safe for you. If you have kidney conditions that are related to aging, your doctor will use caution when prescribing Chantix. He or she may adjust the dose of Chantix accordingly.

There is evidence that Chantix may increase the risk of heart attack in people with cardiovascular disease.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...