What is buprenorphine HCl and naloxone HCl?

Buprenorphine HCl and naloxone HCl (sold under the brand names Suboxone and Subutex) is a combination drug that is used to treat dependence to opiate drugs, such as heroin and oxycodone. Buprenorphine HCl is an opioid partial agonist-antagonist, which means that the drug binds to specific receptors in the brain to reduce the euphoria associated with taking opiates. Naloxone HCl decrease symptoms of withdrawal, allowing cessation without potentially harmful withdrawal symptoms. This combination medication should be prescribed by a physician, and should also be part of a narcotic-dependence treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...