What are the effects of nicotine?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Nicotine is a stimulant that makes you feel alert, energized, and mentally sharp because it triggers a release of adrenaline, which in turn boosts heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing. Unlike other drugs of abuse, nicotine does not cause a feeling of euphoria or pleasure, though people sometimes say they get a mild "buzz." Some people who use tobacco say that it calms them, but research indicates that the calming effect is actually relief from the unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal and the result of changes in breathing patterns, rather than a primary effect of the drug itself.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...