What is the adult dosage for varenicline for smoking cessation?

The adult dosage of varenicline (Chantix), a smoking cessation medication, can vary. Always follow the exact dosage your physician recommends. The varenicline dosage your doctor orders will be listed on the prescription label. Here is the usual dosage for adults who wish to stop smoking using varenicline, though your dosage may be different:
  • .5 mg once a day for days 1 to 3.
  • .5 mg two times a day for days 4 to 7.
  • 1 mg two times a day from day 8 until the medication is completed, usually 12 weeks.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...