What happens if I use drugs while taking naltrexone?

Naltrexone (ReVia, Vivitrol) is a drug that helps drug addicts and alcoholics stay clean when used in conjunction with addiction treatment programs. It works by blocking the effects of opioids such as morphine and heroin and decreasing the craving for alcohol.

If you take large doses of heroin or any other opioid, including methadone or levo-α-acetylmethadol (LAAM) at the same time you are receiving naltrexone, you may experience serious complications, coma or death. Doctors recommend that people receiving naltrexone wear a medic alert bracelet to let emergency care workers know they are taking this drug, as it can influence what emergency treatment they give you. Also, let all your doctors and pharmacists know you are taking naltrexone.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Varenicline (Chantix) is approved by the FDA to help people quit smoking. It is thought to reduce ni...