Is Suboxone safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

It is not known if Suboxone can harm a developing baby, but the baby may become dependant on the medication. Therefore, when it is born, it will go through painful withdrawal symptoms. For this reason, it is not recommended that pregnant women take Suboxone without consulting their doctor.
The medications in Suboxone can pass through breast milk to a nursing baby, though research hasn't shown any harm to the infant. Ask your doctor if breastfeeding is the right choice for you. If you take Suboxone and nurse your child, watch the child for drowsiness or breathing problems. 

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What drugs may interact with varenicline?
Some patients who took varenicline along with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) reported higher rat...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...