How do medications treat nicotine addiction?

Medications used to treat nicotine addiction rewire the brain to not experience the immediate gratification from the nicotine. Gum, inhalers, or a patch provide lower levels of nicotine than a cigarette. As the brain does not get an immediate "high" from the experience, the body slowly stops expecting an instant boost and becomes accustomed to lower nicotine levels. These replacements also do not have the carcinogens and harmful gasses found in cigarette smoke. Some antidepressants, like Bupropion and Nortriptyline, help to reduce the desire for nicotine while Varenicline tartrate blocks nicotine's effects in certain areas of the brain.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...