How long should I take Chantix for smoking cessation?

Your doctor will determine how long you need to take Chantix (varenicline). Chantix is usually taken for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks on Chantix, you may still need additional help quitting. In this case, your doctor may prescribe a second 12-week course of Chantix.
Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Your prescription for Chantix (varenicline) will be for a 12-week supply. You'll spend about a week getting adjusted to the full dose. Then you'll stop smoking and continue taking varenicline to stave off withdrawal symptoms. You'll then stay on the drug for the next 11 weeks. If you are having trouble quitting smoking by the end of that time, your doctor can renew the prescription for another 12 weeks.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Varenicline (Chantix) is approved by the FDA to help people quit smoking. It is thought to reduce ni...