How long should I take Chantix for smoking cessation?

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Your prescription for Chantix (varenicline) will be for a 12-week supply. You'll spend about a week getting adjusted to the full dose. Then you'll stop smoking and continue taking varenicline to stave off withdrawal symptoms. You'll then stay on the drug for the next 11 weeks. If you are having trouble quitting smoking by the end of that time, your doctor can renew the prescription for another 12 weeks.
Your doctor will determine how long you need to take Chantix (varenicline). Chantix is usually taken for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks on Chantix, you may still need additional help quitting. In this case, your doctor may prescribe a second 12-week course of Chantix.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...