Is Chantix approved by the FDA for smoking cessation?

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Chantix (varenicline) was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for smoking cessation in May 2006. It is available by prescription to help people quit smoking. Chantix blocks nicotine receptors in the brain.
Chantix (varenicline), a prescription medication, is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for smoking cessation. When used along with counseling or a stop-smoking support program, varenicline helps ease symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...