If I am pregnant, is it safe to take Chantix?

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Chantix (varenicline) is not safe to take if you are pregnant. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classifies varenicline as a medication that could harm your unborn baby. Of course, smoking may also harm your unborn baby, so it's important that you find another way to quit -- for your baby and for yourself. Work with your doctor to find the safest method. Before you take Chantix, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. If you are taking Chantix and become pregnant, call your doctor to discuss your options.
Do not take Chantix (varenicline) while pregnant. Chantix is listed as a category C drug for all trimesters during pregnancy. This means that either adverse effects of Chantix have been found in animal studies or that no animal studies have been performed. It may be that there are few or no adequate clinical trials performed in women who are pregnant. Talk to your doctor about smoking cessation alternatives if you're pregnant.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...