How should I take Chantix?

It is recommended that you take Chantix for 12 weeks, or as prescribed by your doctor. Chantix is taken in pill form. You should take it with a full glass of water after eating. Your dosage will increase over this period. Set a date to stop smoking.  Start the medication 1 week before the quit date.  For the first three days, you will take a .5 mg pill once a day. During days four to seven, you will take .5 mg twice a day, and during the remaining weeks, you will take a 1mg pill twice a day. If needed, you may need another course of treatment. You may slip up and smoke during treatment; however, that does not mean that you will not be successful.

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Take your Chantix (varenicline) tablet with a full glass of water. Take it after a meal. For the first few days, you'll take one pill a day. Soon, you'll increase that to two a day. When you're taking two pills a day, it may be easier to remember to take one right after breakfast and one right after supper. However you plan it, try to take each pill at about the same time every day.
Chantix (varenicline) should be taken at the same time each day after eating to help reduce the risk of stomach upset. Take Chantix with a full glass of water. This helps decrease the incidence of nausea. Follow your doctor's dosing instructions. If you miss a dose of Chantix, take it as soon as you remember. If it's close to the time of your next dose, just take it as you normally would. Never double up on doses.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What drugs may interact with varenicline?
Some patients who took varenicline along with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) reported higher rat...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...