How long can I use a nicotine-replacement medication (NRM)?

If you are trying to quit smoking, nicotine-replacement medication (NRM) may be one of the tools you use to help you quit. Generally, when starting nicotine replacement, the smoker picks a day to stop smoking cigarettes (“the quit day”) and begins the product on that day. The products are recommended for use for two to three months. However, doctors usually recommend allowing NRM use for a longer period of time if the alternative would be to return to cigarette smoking. If you are interested in using nicotine replacement as part of your smoking cessation plan, discuss with your physician which types of nicotine-replacement medication may work best for you.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
As with all drugs, varenicline has some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of: Before taking...