Can I get varenicline over-the-counter?

Varenicline (Chantix), a tablet, is used as a smoking cessation medication. Doctors and scientists believe that varenicline attaches to the brain's nicotine receptors and blocks nicotine from reaching them. When taken in conjunction with counseling or a stop-smoking program, varenicline helps ease nicotine cravings and cigarette withdrawal symptoms.

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Varenicline (Chantix) is not available over-the-counter. It is only available by prescription. It is one of several medications that your doctor can prescribe to help you quit smoking. Make an appointment with your doctor to find the best way to stop smoking for good. Quitting is the best gift you could ever give yourself.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Varenicline (Chantix) is approved by the FDA to help people quit smoking. It is thought to reduce ni...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...