What happens if I overdose on medication for visceral pain?

An overdose on painkillers - usually opiod analgesics - can cause respiratory depression. This is a serious medical situation, and a person who has overdosed should receive immediate medical attention. Doctors can counteract the effects of opiod analgesics with opiod antagonists, such as naloxone. These drugs bind to opiod receptors without triggering them; in doing so, they prevent the original substance from continuing to act on the brain.

Continue Learning about Medication Overdose and Poisoning

What is an overdose?
The word overdose usually means taking too much of a drug or medication, such as a pain killer, coug...
What is serotonin syndrome?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
It's important to be aware of foods and supplements other than the prescribed medications you are ta...
How common are prescription painkiller overdoses?
Although many types of prescription drugs are abused, there is currently a growing epidemic of presc...
Can I overdose on antidiarrheal medications?
It is possible to overdose on antidiarrheal medications. An overdose may include a variety of di...