Will Medicare cover me if I travel outside the United States?

Under the Original Medicare Plan, you are not covered for medical services if you travel outside the United States. There are a few rare exceptions such as certain emergency hospital services received in Mexico and Canada, though. It is always good to check with Medicare and also consider a supplemental medical insurance policy. When we travel we always purchase additional insurance.

Under the Original Medicare Plan, you are not covered for medical services if you travel outside the United States. There are a few rare exceptions such as certain emergency hospital services received in Mexico and Canada, though.

However, some Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans pay for healthcare expenses when you travel outside the U.S. Check with your insurance provider about the specifics of your policy relating to foreign travel coverage. 

If you have Medigap (supplemental Medicare), emergency care when you travel outside the U.S. may be covered. Check Parts C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J of your policy for foreign travel coverage.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
Has fraud been a problem in Medicare?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The U.S. General Accounting Office reported a loss of $12.6 billion to the Medicare program from fra...
What happens to my younger spouse when I go on Medicare at age 65?
AARPAARP
The best option for your spouse, frankly, is for you to work longer—if this is at all possible—so th...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?