Will Medicare cover me if I travel outside the United States?

Under the Original Medicare Plan, you are not covered for medical services if you travel outside the United States. There are a few rare exceptions such as certain emergency hospital services received in Mexico and Canada, though. It is always good to check with Medicare and also consider a supplemental medical insurance policy. When we travel we always purchase additional insurance.

Under the Original Medicare Plan, you are not covered for medical services if you travel outside the United States. There are a few rare exceptions such as certain emergency hospital services received in Mexico and Canada, though.

However, some Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans pay for healthcare expenses when you travel outside the U.S. Check with your insurance provider about the specifics of your policy relating to foreign travel coverage. 

If you have Medigap (supplemental Medicare), emergency care when you travel outside the U.S. may be covered. Check Parts C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J of your policy for foreign travel coverage.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
Who do I call for Medicare billing questions?
You can call the Medicare helpline for questions about billing. The number is 1-800-633-4227. Good l...
Where can I find information on Medicare benefits for people with MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Individuals disabled by multiple sclerosis (MS) are eligible to receive Medicare benefits. Medicare ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?