Why was Medicare developed?

Medicare was developed to increase senior citizens’ access to quality health care. In the mid-1960s, about 40% of seniors lived at or below the poverty level and could not afford basic health care. Most physicians donated a day a week of their time to city hospitals (such as Boston City Hospital, Cook County Hospital, Los Angeles County Hospital, etc.) to help provide this care. After being signed into law, more than 19 million people enrolled in Medicare. Today, Medicare enrollment is up to 46 million with payments from the system rising over 150 fold (from $3.2 billion to more than $520 billion). The 65 and older age group continues to be the only age group with essentially universal coverage.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
Can I cover my family under my Medicare coverage?
When it comes to Medicare, it’s each man, woman, or child for him or herself. You cannot cover your ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?