Why should I get health insurance if it is so expensive?

Do you like to live dangerously?  Willing to gamble with your financial future and go without health insurance? Why pay $5,400 a year for something you may not need, right? Wrong. You’ll need it sooner or later -- and you can bet it’ll be sooner, most likely at 3:30 a.m. on some fated Tuesday when you roll into the ER and have to wait in line. I hate to break it to you, but this issue could have been handled easily at the doctor’s office if you had received preventive care. Uninsured people are 50% more likely to be hospitalized for an avoidable problem than those who have health insurance, and they are also more likely to become ill. So don’t gamble on your health. The seemingly outrageous costs are worth it and there’s help available to get you more affordable care.

Health insurance is your first step in the door of most medical facilities, unless you are in an urgent situation. If you are uninsured, you will need to pay out-of-pocket expenses for all services you receive. Although insurance premiums can be expensive, health insurance generally pays a very substantial portion of the expenses when you do get injured or fall ill. Having health insurance can help to cover routine physicals and tests that may help you to avoid further complications. You should also consider if you will be able to bear the financial burden you will face if you are severely injured or develop a serious disease.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
How do I know if I have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan?
You will know if you have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan by checking your enrollme...
Will the cost of vasectomy reversal procedure be covered by medicare?
Peter N. Mattar, MDPeter N. Mattar, MD
The cost of vasectomy reversal is almost never covered by any insurance carrier.  Specialized Urolog...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?