Why should I get health insurance if it is so expensive?

Health insurance is your first step in the door of most medical facilities, unless you are in an urgent situation. If you are uninsured, you will need to pay out-of-pocket expenses for all services you receive. Although insurance premiums can be expensive, health insurance generally pays a very substantial portion of the expenses when you do get injured or fall ill. Having health insurance can help to cover routine physicals and tests that may help you to avoid further complications. You should also consider if you will be able to bear the financial burden you will face if you are severely injured or develop a serious disease.

Do you like to live dangerously?  Willing to gamble with your financial future and go without health insurance? Why pay $5,400 a year for something you may not need, right? Wrong. You’ll need it sooner or later -- and you can bet it’ll be sooner, most likely at 3:30 a.m. on some fated Tuesday when you roll into the ER and have to wait in line. I hate to break it to you, but this issue could have been handled easily at the doctor’s office if you had received preventive care. Uninsured people are 50% more likely to be hospitalized for an avoidable problem than those who have health insurance, and they are also more likely to become ill. So don’t gamble on your health. The seemingly outrageous costs are worth it and there’s help available to get you more affordable care.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
How do I know what part of my care is covered under Medicare?
You will know what part of your care is covered under Medicare by reviewing your Evidence of Coverag...
Does Medicare cover chiropractic care?
American Chiropractic AssociationAmerican Chiropractic Association
Yes, doctors of chiropractic are defined as “physicians” in the Medicare Program (1861(r) of the Soc...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?