Who qualifies for Medicare benefits?

In most situations, to qualify for Medicare's full range of benefits, you need to be 65 and have earned the required "quarters" of coverage. This generally means you are eligible if you or your spouse worked — and paid Medicare and Social Security payroll taxes — for at least 10 years. However, if you’re disabled or meet other requirements, you may also qualify — provided you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Medicare provides coverage to approximately 40 million Americans, and is the national health insurance program for:
  • People age 65 or older
  • Some people under age 65 with disabilities
  • People with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) -- permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
When will I receive my Medicare membership card?
If you enrolled either automatically (because you receive disability or retirement benefits from Soc...
Who do I call for Medicare billing questions?
You can call the Medicare helpline for questions about billing. The number is 1-800-633-4227. Good l...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?