Who qualifies for Medicare benefits?

Medicare provides coverage to approximately 40 million Americans, and is the national health insurance program for:
  • People age 65 or older
  • Some people under age 65 with disabilities
  • People with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) -- permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant.
In most situations, to qualify for Medicare's full range of benefits, you need to be 65 and have earned the required "quarters" of coverage. This generally means you are eligible if you or your spouse worked — and paid Medicare and Social Security payroll taxes — for at least 10 years. However, if you’re disabled or meet other requirements, you may also qualify — provided you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
How is the donut hole in Medicare drug coverage going to close?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The Affordable Care Act attempts to address prescription drug costs for seniors by having Medicare P...
What are my payment options for my Medicare premiums?
Most people do not have a premium for Medicare Part A because they have 40 quarters or more of Medic...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?