Who is eligible for Medicare benefits?

You are eligible for Medicare if you are 65 or over, severely disabled, or have kidney failure requiring dialysis. 
Most people do not have to pay a premium for Part A (hospital insurance), but everyone must pay a premium for Part B (Medicare insurance). The monthly premium is deducted from your Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement check. 

For questions about your eligibility for Medicare Part A or Part B, call the Social Security Administration.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
Does Medicare pay for nursing home stays?
Juliet WilkinsonJuliet Wilkinson
I would like to add to the previous answers to this question in reminding about the Medicare hospice...
Can I get Medicare before age 65?
AARPAARP
Usually you must wait until you reach 65 to get Medicare. But there are some exceptions. You can bec...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?